NC Asphalt and Sealcoating of Winston Salem
Asphalt Driveways & Parking Lot Sealcoating in Winston Salem, NC
NC Asphalt and Sealcoating provides Asphalt and Sealcoating Services for commercial and residential clients throughout Winston Salem in NC including neighborhoods of Salem, Old Town, Mount Tabor and others. Our pavement services include onsite complementary consultations for the installation, repair or preventive maintenance (Sealcoating) of parking lots, roads and driveways. We gladly offer expert advice developed over decades of hard work in the shadow of the Appalachian Mountains.
We follow our local competitors to make sure we are offering the most affordable (yet strictly built to code) asphalt pavement services in the marketplace. Cutting corners during sealcoating application, such as buying the cheapest grade of sealant, not putting down enough sealant and unskilled labor are not our practices.
Sealcoat in Parking Lot next to Stairwell
Asphalt Parking Lot Sealcoating Best Cost in Winston Salem, NC
Asphalt Parking Lots immediately begin to decay because of exposure to UV-Rays, weather elements and wear from traffic. This decay is plainly seen as the parking lot loses its handsome deep black color and fades to light grey. Caution! once the parking lot has totally become light grey, the black binder (glue that holds the pavement together) is exhausted and it’s unlikely a sealcoat application will restore flexibility. Periodic application of a protective coating (Sealcoat) to the parking lot will slow the weathering process (oxidation) down to a crawl. Professional Sealcoat formulations are proprietary but all contain anti-oxidation additives to provide a shield against sunlight, heat, rain, sleet, snow and stormy weather. Asphalt paving professionals suggest sealcoating a parking lot every 3 to 4 years, though, it also depends upon severity of climate and traffic load.
Advantages of Sealcoating a Parking lot:
- Protects the pavement’s flexibility to ride out seasonal cycles and traffic loads.
- Fills and seals minor cracks and pitting on the pavement.
- Repels UV-Rays
- Repels moisture from weather events.
- Vehicle spills of gas and oil can’t eat away at the pavement.
- Debris and dirt can be easily swept away.
- Restores the once handsome deep black color of the pavement.
- Extends its life-span
NC Asphalt & Sealcoating Winston Salem Budget Driveway Maintenance
Asphalt Driveway pavement is a mix of 95% stone and sand held together by 5% asphalt cement sometimes called black glue. When Asphalt is exposed to the outdoors, it begins to decay or oxidize meaning the black glue is leached out by the elements. As the asphalt binder wears away, the stones are revealed allowing water to penetrate the pavement and over time the driveway begins to crumble. Sealcoating your driveway will reduce the rate of oxidization by about half. This means an asphalt driveway will, generally, function twice as long if maintained by sealcoating periodically and if cracks are repaired promptly.
DIY Sealcoating Misadventures:
- Homeowners often skimp proper cleaning preparation- Sealcoat won’t bond to dirty pavement.
- Big Box Store Sealcoat formulations are inferior to Professional ones- they are diluted with water.
- Cost savings are minor compared to what professionals’ charge- especially for long driveways.
- Professionals will pre-fill large cracks with Hot rubber crack fill- to provide total protection.
- Homeowners’ wrongly think the Sealcoat will seal large cracks and pour it on- pooled sealant stays soft.
- Homeowner may suffer skin rashes and respiratory troubles during application.
Cleaning out Crack before Repair
Commercial Asphalt Parking Lot Repairs
When Asphalt cracks in a pattern, it gives an indication of what is causing it to fail. For Example, Alligator cracking in an Asphalt parking lot means the surface can no longer bear the traffic stress. Other reasons are the parking lot is very old, poor water drainage has damaged the base (sub-grade) or a too heavy load has traversed or rested on the pavement. Heavy trucks- trash trucks can weigh as much as 2,000 cars and are the leading cause of parking lot damage. No matter, what the damage is, we provide long-lasting repairs.
Common Parking Lot Repairs:
- Ruts or depressions caused by heavy vehicles
- Raveling- areas of pavement breaking down to crumbling gravel
- Minor and Severe Cracks
- Petroleum spills- gasoline, oil or other leaked vehicle fluids
Milling off Damaged Asphalt in Parking Lot
Asphalt Parking Lot Resurfacing
Resurfacing is an attractive financial option for Business owners faced with a failing Parking Lot. Basically, resurfacing removes the top 2 inches of old pavement and replaces it with 2 inches of newly paved hot asphalt mix. Caution, subbase issues must be repaired before the resurface or those areas that now puddle will again. In other words, a collapsed subbase produces a pothole because the above pavement lacks the strong base necessary to flex with traffic. Once the subbase is repaired, the pavement has its strong support back allowing it to safely flex- no further issues.
Benefits of Parking Lot Resurfacing:
- Restores an aging crack, faded and pitted pavement to like new condition
- Can add 8 to 15 years of additional lifespan
- Generally, costs 2/3 less than a total replacement
- A much faster process than total replacement
- Restores pavement Flexibility
Crack Repair Before Sealcoating
Residential Driveway Repairs
Many residential driveway pavement failings can be affordably and quickly fixed such as shallow surface cracks, small depressions, and fading pavement. Thus, no need to imagine the worse before getting a free estimate. Severe damage such as potholes, alligator cracking and upheavals indicate subbase damage or overloading which should be remedied before the final pavement surface repair. When the subbase is not repaired for severe damage, damage will quickly return to the exact same spot- it’s called reflective cracking.
Residential Driveway Maintenance:
- Residential Driveways are not designed to bear the weight of Tree trimming trucks, garbage and moving vans- they will damage pavement.
- Prevent root upheavals- Don’t plant tree or shrubs near the driveway.
- Don’t park a camper on the driveway- it will cause ruts.
- Sweep away crushed decaying leaves because they stain and damage the driveway.
- Get small Cracks repaired before they worsen into large ones.
Asphalt Driveway Install
Residential Driveway Installs
We follow our competitors to make sure we are offering the best priced (yet strictly built to code) pavement services in the Winston Salem marketplace. Cutting corners during Driveway installation, such as buying the cheapest grade of asphalt mix, not putting down deep enough gravel base and hiring unskilled labor are not our practices. In order to protect against inexcusable repeat repairs, Homeowners need to hire experienced local asphalt contractors that guarantee their services for a lengthy period of time.
The Best Driveway Installs Have:
- Grading of Land surrounding the Driveway should send storm water away from the pavement.
- Removal of all trees and their root systems under the driveway site- so they don’t cause upheavals.
- The subsoil condition needs to be inspected and remediation taken if soft, clay or unstable.
- The Asphalt pavement Gravel subbase needs to be a minimum of 4 inches deep for strength and good drainage.
- Asphalt surface layer should be at least 2 inches thick if the driveway has regular traffic- 3 inches with heavy trucks and campers.
City of Winston Salem, NC
Winston Salem NC
The city of Winston-Salem is located in Forsyth County, North Carolina. It is the 5thmost populous city and the third largest urban area in NC. It is located in the Piedmont plateau that lies between the Atlantic coastal plain and the Appalachian Mountains. The name Piedmont means “at the foot of the mountains” sourced from the Latin word “pedemontium”. This area is characterized by low rolling hills with mostly clay and some moderately fertile soils. Historically the main crop was cotton but now it’s tobacco though in the north more land is suited to general farming, orchards and dairy farms.
Why the unusual hyphenated city name? The US Post Office in the 1880’s was referring to the two neighboring towns as Winston-Salem. After 10 years of the two towns competing for the combined Post Office to be in their town, it was finally established in Winston. The new Post Office was called Winston-Salem and the previous Salem office then began serving as a branch. After a referendum in 1913 the two towns were incorporated into the new hyphenated city name Winston-Salem.
The Innovation Quarter
Downtown Winston-Salem toward the east end is a 330 acres research park with more than 90 companies focused on medical research, information technology, academic research and other biomedical sciences. For example, one tenant is Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine which is researching the ability to engineer 30 or more replacement tissues and organs and to develop rapid cell therapies for healing tissue. This dedicate space encourages researchers to work with entrepreneurs to develop treatments and cures for many of the fatal or life altering disease that plague us.